Monday, June 29, 2009

Time Passes Quickly

It's hard to believe that it's already the end of June and that I'll be heading to the Middle East in a little less than two months. My reading and studying for that venture have been shortened and I'm looking forward to having the time to study again.

Yesterday I got into a discussion with one of the interpreters at the Chateau about the status of Palestine and the Palestinians. Like Northwest Iowa and Pella, North Dakota is pretty conservative and republican and my (more or less) pro-Palestinian arguments were met by very pro-Israel views. It's been awhile since I've had a discussion with someone that was pro-Israeli (aside from my grandma, that's a different case)...quite possibly since before I took History of the Muslim World. This interpreter is headed to Afghanistan sometime in the fall with the military. It seems like we will be seeing the Middle East from completely different perspectives...it will be interesting to get his take on the situation later in the year -- perhaps well have to swap stories.

Thursday is one of my first full days off from work and I'm sincerely hoping that it won't rain during the day. I was hoping that the hike to Theodore Roosevelt's Elkhorn Ranch site would be on Thursday, but it's on Wednesday instead...so, plan B. I'm hoping that I can find my way through the scenic loop drive in the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park (henceforth referred to as TRNP) back to the Wind Canyon trail. Unfortunately, it appears to be that part of the season when all of the baby rattlesnakes begin hatching. We've already had run-ins in the park and at the Chateau and have even heard mention of some within Medora! If I go, I'm starting to think that I'd want to bring someone with me...

I left work at the Chateau early this afternoon because I wasn't feeling well. After spending most of the day sleeping, I feel refreshed and ready for work. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll sleep very well tonight.

I'm excited and ready for the challenge that awaits me, both tomorrow and beyond.

No comments: