Monday, July 13, 2009

Stormy Week

At the end of last week, a tornado went through Dickinson (the city that's 30 minutes away and where I get groceries). Most of the south side of town was hit and one of the house interpreters even lost her apartment in the storm. She and her husband are okay and are currently in the process of moving to Germany with the Air Force. We're supposed to get severe thunderstorms tonight and the next few days, too, so hopefully that will go well and we won't get the quarter-sized hail that they are predicting.

The stagecoach drivers and horses arrived today! It's really quite fun to have them around. They are very interested in the history of the house and once they finally get started (which will hopefully be soon -- it has to dry out first), we'll get a free ride in the coach. I'm also hoping to get a chance to go horseback riding this week, or if that's not possible, to finally hike out to Theodore Roosevelt's Elkhorn Ranch cabin. I've been meaning to do that for weeks, but it always falls on a day that I work in the gift shop, or a day that I can't escape from the Chateau for a few hours.

This weekend, a girl was playing her violin for tips just outside of the gift shop. Apparently, she did quite well, so I've already asked George if I can set up there if I return here next summer. I wouldn't be a Chateau intern, so I could work in the gift shop and at the Chateau 3 days a week each. It might not happen that I get out here again, but I'm looking forward to the possibility.

No comments: