Monday, July 6, 2009

Trip to Bismarck (Part One)

Today I went to Bismarck with Karen and Samantha. I've never been to the Heritage Center or met any of the people that work there, so it was an adventure. Samantha and I left Medora around 7:30 am (MDT) and went with Karen from Dickinson to Bismarck. We didn't arrive in Bismarck until 11 am (CDT), though...

Anyway, when we got there, we met some of the more important people in the Heritage Center and we took tours through the Collections and Archives areas of the center. We saw several of Medora's riding habits, and also some of the the drapes and bottles on the shelves. On the way to see "Medora's" horse (it was used in the Chateau in the 40s to show off Medora's sidesaddles), there was a double bass on one of the shelves. I gasped from surprise and excitement and Jenny (the lady that took us through) told me the story of what happened to the bass...and then told me that there was a Hardanger fiddle in the collections, too. And then, Jenny gave me her white gloves, and I got to HOLD the fiddle myself! :)

2 comments:

james.slegers said...

What was the story of the bass (and the fiddle, for that matter)?

Joseph S said...

Yes, Yes, what was the story of the bass? This sounds like it was a very exciting experience!