Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but I've been hard at work today researching and writing papers. This is a welcome break.

I found a job for the summer -- an internship with the State Historical Society of North Dakota and I start in May. This isn't what I had planned for my summer, but I'm looking forward to meeting new people and experiencing different things. This summer will certainly stretch and challenge me in new ways.

I found out on Thursday that I have been accepted to CCCU's Middle East Studies Program (MESP) based in Cairo, Egypt for the Fall 2009 semester. I originally applied for the program back in January, and while my friends Cheryl and Betsy were accepted at the Early Application Deadline, Ryan and I had to wait. I was very disappointed and questioned why I hadn't been accepted, but I dealt with the disappointment and learned to trust God for his perfect timing (Proverbs 3: 5-6).

At the regular application deadline, I honestly wasn't expecting to be accepted to the program. I didn't want to be disappointed like I had been the last time. This time, though, I was accepted (and so was Ryan). Four people from Dordt will be on MESP next semester! :)

The end of this semester is bittersweet. Some of my good friends plan to study abroad in Spring 2010, so unknowingly, this has been our last semester together. We'll make what we can of what's left and we'll see each other at graduation next year, but it's hard sometimes to grow up and move on. It's definitely been a rollercoaster. I've had some great "highs" and some terrible "lows," but I wouldn't trade this semester for the world. I've learned so much, not only academically, but also about God and his goodness! However, I'm ready for this semester to end and have my adventures begin. There's so much beautiful and vivid culture to experience, so many things to see -- and so little time to do it!

No comments: