Monday, August 17, 2009

Home Feels Strange

I've found that every time I leave home for a semester or a summer, it feels strange and out of place when I return. Pella even felt like a large city when we pulled in because I've been so used to a small town of only 80-90 permanent residents -- without even a grocery store! The scenery is different, too, Iowa and much of Minnesota are flatter and much more open, and I found myself missing the "enclosed" spaces of the North Dakota badlands.

I miss being able to say things like "to infinity and beyond" and have people understand the back story in that phrase (it's more than just Toy Story). It's also hard to talk about the people that became my friends with people back home. It would be much easier if the people back here could just drive to Medora.

Dan didn't like it in Medora, which is understandable because it's nothing like a big city. Unlike me, he needs at least a bigger town and seems much more comfortable in the city. I loved the quiet nights (minus the train) and being able to see the stars right from my back porch -- something I can't do quite as well in Pella, and definitely won't be able to do in Cairo.

One week until I leave for Egypt. I can't believe the time has flown by so quickly!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Maybe you're just a North Dakotan in and Iowan's body. :) Chin up, girlie, Egypt is going to be awesome.

james.slegers said...

I just got back from California. Being at home, with people I knew, was very weird. So, I think I partially understand.

But, Egypt will be great, I assure you. I hope you enjoy it immensely.