Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Turnin' Cowgirl and Other Ramblings

I know that I swore to my parents that I wouldn't come back to Iowa with a cowboy hat and boots, but I've found that Medora and the whole ranch/cowboy thing has grown on me. Out here, it's much more than just the hat; cowboys have a lifestyle and culture all their own.

Like most girls, I've dreamed of having my own horse since I was little. Since I've always been a town girl, I've never had an opportunity to learn how to ride. Wilhelm (my family's exchange student last year) rides horses in Germany and my new friend Sarah also rides. Simply put, being around all these people that ride has renewed my desire to learn how to ride a horse.

Inspite of my current interest in horses and cowboy culture, I still don't like country music. Just saying.


On another note, I'm really sad to have to leave Medora next week. I've made so many new friends and seen so many wonderful places. I think that the words of the Marquis de Mores sum up my feelings to some extent: "I grow weary of civilization...I long for the wilderness." I love Medora--at least the historical and natural aspects of it. North Dakota may still be a relatively young historical location, but there is still lots of history to be explored.

1 comment:

PJ said...

Maybe instead of a horse you'll get to ride a camel!