Thursday, May 28, 2009

Back in Medora

It was a little surreal to finally be back in Medora after this weekend. Oddly, it sort of felt like I had been here forever and was returning after a long time away... It was good to be back, though. I missed having something to do during the days. Yesterday, Samantha and I organized 3 of the file drawers full of research and information and went on the mp3 walking tour. I got a sense of accomplishment out of organizing all of that information into an index, but I still have to say that office type work is not my favorite (although it is a necessary part of life).

Karen is letting me work on some of the Time Traveler scripts for Tuesday/Wednesday tours through the house. It's been a good project and a chance to use some of what I've learned from the writing courses I've taken over the years. Karen knows a lot about the subject and has been a good guide.

On Saturday I'm headed to Richardton, ND for an Oral History Conference (at an abbey!). Dee was talking about getting a tour of the abbey itself and I'm really excited about that possibility. I'm also thinking that this oral history project that's currently in the works will be a good experience for me. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use what I learn at this conference, and throughout the summer, for family history and/or possibly church history (haven't discussed that one with anyone yet...).

I'm thinking that working for the SHSND might be a good job for me next summer, too (provided they would employ me) -- perhaps I could get a position as an interpreter at the house. Who knows? But first I have to learn the secret handshake....

No comments: